Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Other people's puke and idiocy


Tam started the day with a meltdown – not surprising given what she has been put through so far. Joy. I was then evil and left her in the room watching a DVD while I ran round the hills for half an hour. That’s definitely not in the parenting handbook. I am weirdly finding that I like running up hills – and it was especially nice in the cool of the morning. To be fair, it was especially nice to get away from all the people here – yes, I’ve got to that point. Tam was safe in front of Bob the Builder when I returned.


So people don’t half talk vacuous shit. I do too of course, and more than most, but this is my blog so they’re the rubbish ones for my purposes. I ended up totally ignoring everyone yesterday and today and now Tam and I are almost lone cowgirls. Most of the group are way off my radar. The scary woman is just horrendous – won’t even look at Tam when she (Tam) asks her a direct (and polite) question (and also has brought a giant US flag with her and a Lance banner that she keeps poking me in the nose with). Tam keeps insulting Americans by correcting their French accent, and I can’t stop laughing about it, which is not making me any friends.

The Australian man has given up on flirting but I can at least get a smile out of him now and wade through more than one minute of conversation without wanting to kill myself. He’s also pretty responsive to Tam, who seems to like him, and the fact that he prefers silence is completely fine with me. I’m still holding on to Jo and Alison, one of the couples, and the family with the small boy, as they are very useful for Tam. But apart from that I want to be alone or with Lynn, a 72-year-old Canadian woman who stomps everywhere on her own and can’t be doing with the group at all and instinctively understands when to talk and when not because she’s a lone cowgirl too. I like her.

It was a pretty rough travelling today: around three hours on the bus, and winding. In the end, only Tam and I didn’t throw up. At Gap, we bust a move – amazing how me with a heavy rucksack and a child on my shoulders can get to a destination in quarter the time a silly tour group can. Grrr. At lunch, Tam and me had mussels, which was of course too much for the rest of them. Are you getting the theme here? I am skill, everyone else is rubbish. Perhaps I need a night’s sleep.

The VIP enclosure by the finish was fantastic. Another great, great day. Tam ploughed her way through about seven slush puppies, nine ice creams, eighteen pastries and a random pork pie. I managed nothing – I forgot, I was so excited. The caravan came through again but I’m over that already. Luckily, the other family took Tam for that so she got loads of free crap that I am taking off her with one hand and silently funnelling straight into the bin with the other.

I didn’t get much of the stage – at least, I did see it on the big screen but missed the nuances of the Froome/Contador semi-debacle – I’ve read it online but post hoc, so have little to say from my own point of view. The end was wonderful – seeing Rui Costa come in overjoyed and at a slow pace having sealed the race in time, and then watching the pack come in too. Another big shout out to the super domestiques of Sky – nothing but admiration for Geraint Thomas pacing for hours out front with a fractured pelvis, and for Richie, as ever (don’t get me started). And also for Peter Kennagh for nearly dying on Ventoux the other day to get Froome his victory.


Finally, another Tam-on-shoulders hike back to the bus. My shoulders are starting to take on a different shape, and I pulled a minor muscle in my groin. But I DON’T CARE! We met Richie Porte, me and Tam! YEAH YEAH YEAH! Now we are stalking him, as we are in the riders’ enclosure tomorrow and I’m on a rollll.

I’m also bloody shattered again. I don’t think I’m at my best writing-wise. I’ve just had my first cigarette in three days and received a lecture from a tour member about “not feeding the bears”. These approaches tend to make me light up seven packs in one go and ram them in all my orifices in front of the lecture donor.

No comments:

Post a Comment